[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSGTR messages for vid/aid in non-verbose output?

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Wed Dec 6 14:17:53 CET 2006

On 4 Dec 2006 19:27 mail at kraymer.de wrote:
> Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> > I've made a quick overview in libmpdemux/* and it seems that
> > not  only AVI demuxer won't print non-verbose messages about
> > different  streams. The only demuxers providing such
> > information are demux_ogg  and demux_mkv. Correct me if I'm
> > wrong.
>
> I tested your patch a bit and so far it appears to work fine
> (have no multi-video or multi-audio avis though). What I noticed
> is thatinformation is redundant when playing dvds as track info
> is printed similar to ogg/mkv already. I'm not sure about
> correctness of -vid for dvds at all, does this equal to dvd-mpeg
> with several angles?

I don't know exactly, because I'm not dvd internals expert. And
I've no dvds with several angles for testing.

BTW this message may be useless for some other container types,
which probably doesn't support multiple tracks, OTOH specifying
-aid or -vid for any track, playable by mplayer, is syntactically
correct. So I see no problems.

> > So my suggestion is to add appropriate messages directly into
> > demuxer.c, so they will be uniform despite of the demuxer
> > type.  IMHO this will be usefull to user. OTOH this may make
> > an overhead  of usefull information in the cases when format's
> > dexuxer provides  this information also (such as demux_ogg and
> > demux_mkv). Therefore  must be some check for demuxer type in
> > order to realize necessity  of such message. I made this check
> > to skip printing message in the  case of ogg or mkv demuxer.
>
> See above, you might also want to skip in case of demuxing dvds.

It will be great, but I can't see any way how to make it
gracefully. The problem is in fact, that dvds are proceed not at
demuxer, but at stream layer. And I can't figure out that current
stream belongs to DVD from demuxer.c, such information is
contained into stream/* internals, in the stream_info_dvd
structure, which is unaccessible outside of stream/ directory.

Of course, I can make it available with some static variable or so
on, but imo this will be a *very* ugly hack. So the only solution
is modifying original code, as Diego suggested.

> I think it would also be nice to unify the output a bit.
> Matroska files for example are prefixed with [mkv], later in the
> "chain" some decoder output is prefixed by "VDec: .."; so maybe
> some kind of prefix ("Demux"?) is applicable here too.

Done. But probably it is useless: all translatable demuxer messages
miss this tag, and most of mplayer's messages have no ones.

> > BTW, I have noticed that there are a lot of translatable
> > messages  with level below MSGL_V in libmpdemux/* (and in
> > MPlayer code in  general) which are not present in master file
> > help/help_mp-en.h  and are not translated. Is it ok to start
> > extracting them into> help_mp-en.h?
>
> I guess so. It might depend on how quick another translation
> system comes up. But my feeling is that it's not immediate so if
> you like to, go ahead imo.

Ok, will proceed in some days.