[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: New translation system

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Mon Dec 4 23:46:27 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-04 at 17:09 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:39:50AM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
> > So from translator's point of view gettext system is the best one.
>
> It does not matter, anything involving gettext is flat out rejected.
> Also anything that involves indexing with strings rather than integers
> is rejected. If you like gettext tools that's fine; one can make those
> sort of tools for any implementation. But gettext is not an acceptable
> api or implementation.

You don't decide what is rejected and what isn't.

The translation system almost certainly will use indexing by the English
strings. Since almost all of the translated strings are arguments to
mp_msg I think it's best to implement the translation in mp_msg in those
cases (so gettext or other translation-system specific api will not be
used in the code). After the transition to a system based on the English
strings is completed it should be possible to change the underlying
translation lookup mechanism with less effort (for example between
gettext and a custom mechanism), provided that both support features
used in existing translations.