[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: New translation system

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 4 23:09:46 CET 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 11:39:50AM +0200, Andriy N. Gritsenko wrote:
>     Hi, Michael Niedermayer!
>
> Sometime (on Monday, December  4 at  3:59) I've received something...
> >btw, speaking of translators, they probably should participate in the
> >selection/design of a translation system ...
>
>     Get my 5 cents. As one of translators I've found the gettext .po
> format VERY preferrable. Reasons:
>
> 1) it checks string formats for me (i.e. each printf macro %s etc.);
> 2) it notifies me if there were changes in the string (fuzzy notify);
> 3) it merges untranslated/changed strings into translation file so I don't
>    need the hell of copypasting them from diff;
> 4) it automatically includes all transtateable strings so no programmer
>    need to allocate unused #define and move it into base translation (see
>    also previous reason).
>
> So from translator's point of view gettext system is the best one.

It does not matter, anything involving gettext is flat out rejected.
Also anything that involves indexing with strings rather than integers
is rejected. If you like gettext tools that's fine; one can make those
sort of tools for any implementation. But gettext is not an acceptable
api or implementation.

Rich