[MPlayer-dev-eng] MSGTR messages for vid/aid in non-verbose output?

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Sun Dec 3 18:44:55 CET 2006

On Sun, 2006-12-03 at 20:08 +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On 3 Декабрь 2006 19:11 Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > Wait for a while. Hopefully there will soon be a new translation
> > system which doesn't require moving messages out of the source
> > files to make them translatable. It won't happen in days but
> > hopefully within the next few weeks or month.
>
> Ok. But I've read the thread about new translation system... What
> can I say. If this will be gettext-like hell it will be
> deplorably.

What problems are you referring to with "gettext-like hell"? As far as I
understand it should be possible to use gettext in such a way that
translators work about the same as in the current MPlayer system, the
only difference being that the files use the English string instead of
an MSGTR_ macro name.

>  And I slightly misunderstood how english messages will
> be extracted for translation.

There's no finished spec for how they would be marked/extracted. I think
most likely is that constant strings occurring as the third argument of
translatable mp_msg calls would be extracted together with information
about the message level (maybe there would be a "don't translate"
version of mp_msg separately), and translatable strings which are not
directly arguments of mp_msg (or other function which does translation)
would be marked with a no-op macro.

>  Current system makes line-by-line
> translation possible -- this is rather convenient IMO.

What do you mean by "line-by-line translation"? It sounds like it'd mean
translating the English messages one line at a time, but what system
would NOT support that?