[MPlayer-dev-eng] win32 loader

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Tue Aug 29 17:33:56 CEST 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
 > On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 07:32:34AM -0500, Joey Parrish wrote:
 >> In particular, I'd like to write it from scratch with a dual
 >> license, LGPL/GPL.
 >
 > That's rather nonsensical IMO since the LGPL explicitly allows
 > relicensing as GPL, read paragraph 3 again...

Fair enough.  My mistake.

 >> Even add it to ffmpeg instead of MPlayer. I think ffmpeg + the ability
 >> to load binary codecs would make ffmpeg so multi-capable that I could
 >> rely on it directly for certain of my personal projects.
 >
 > I don't think FFmpeg will ever support binary codecs, it's against its
 > spirit.  And anyway, what codecs are you missing nowadays?

Primarily VP6.  Even though MPlayer has binary support for VP6, the FLV
code in LAVF doesn't want to use it.  Dr. DIVX and it's "Dr. FFmpeg"
support binary codecs in a limited way, with DLL names and such hard-coded.

An employer that I contracted for recently wanted to use FFmpeg (since
LGPL is okay linked against commercial apps) and they were trying to
avoid patent issues with MPEG4 by making all MPEG4 decoding come from
external codecs licensed from Microsoft or DIVX or someone.  It's all
pointless in the free software world, and it's made even further
pointless by the fact that I don't work for that company anymore... but
it seemed like a good enough idea anyhow when I started looking at
certain FLV files.

I'd be just as happy with an open VP6 in ffmpeg.  :-)

But back to the issue of this new loader framework, I'd like to see a
project like this come to fruition anyhow.  It seems like a good idea.

--Joey