[MPlayer-dev-eng] [libass] render plain text subtitles in color?

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 16:25:29 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 17:09, compn wrote:
> just wondering if its possible to set a color for non-styled plain text
> fonts? (to get red or yellow .srt subtitles)

They are currently rendered with the old engine. In a few days I'm going to
commit a patch that will allow using libass for any subtitle format (via
subreader). Only external subs will be supported at first.

> something like -ass-color=FF0000
>
> and colors for outlines/backgrounds/margins?
>
> like ass-outline-color=00AAAA or
> maybe even -ass-background-color=228B22 or -ass-margin-color=000000

Maybe even -ass-default-style. It can be used as the default style for
ssa/ass, and as the only style for other formats. Though it may be too
complicated for users that are not familiar with ssa/ass.

Both ways can be supported, with -ass-default-style having priority.

> also any chance to display two subtitles at once?
> user wants to read one language subtitle while his wife reads a different
> language subtitle... or i want to read the directors commentary subs
> while watching the regular dialog subs.

That's possible. With styles, different subtitles can be assigned different
colors, positions (margins), or even one of them can be made toptitle. I'm
not sure what the user interface for this feature should be. Maybe like
this: 'b' scrolls over available subtitle tracks, and 'v' (or some other key)
turns the current subtitle on/off, not affecting the other ones ?