[MPlayer-dev-eng] non-free and undistributable files in tremor/

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Aug 5 02:00:33 CEST 2006

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 09:27:41AM +0800, Zuxy Meng wrote:
> >* or rewriting it all in assembler instead of using builtins.
>
> Will impair readability greatly or even performance....

No, if anything it will improve perfomance. I am very adamant that
these files be rewritten without intrinsics. Intrinsics are very
compiler-specific and their performance is subject to the whims (and
bugs) of compilers. Asm is asm and will work anywhere on any compiler
version and the performance will be the same.

I'm going to be gone for a while but once I'm back I'm willing to
rewrite the code using inline asm. If it's not committed into svn that
way I can keep the pure-asm file somewhere else for anyone who wants
it.. but this seems rather silly.

Rich