[MPlayer-dev-eng] non-free and undistributable files in tremor/

Zuxy Meng zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 03:27:41 CEST 2006

2006/8/4, Hervé W. <H.O.W.aka.V+mplayer at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/08/06, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 02:08:41AM +0200, Hervé W. wrote:
> > > What was configure's output for the line: "Checking for mm3dnow.h"
> > > If it wasn't yes, copying the file mm3dnow.h from a gcc 4.x system (or
> > > tarball or...) could cause better benchmark results for the lavc
> > > decoder. Might be interesting.
> >
> > We should fix this senseless dependency; I didn't know about it..
>
> mm3dnow.h is full of wrappers like:
>
> static __inline void
> _m_femms (void)
> {
>  __builtin_ia32_femms();
> }
>
> What solution would you suggest?
> * I suppose the files depending on mm3dnow.h could use the builtins
> directly, but that would be pretty ugly.

For sure it's ugly, and we may still need to check if a certain
builtin is supported by gcc.

> * Including mm3dnow.h in libavcodec (or something) is another, but I
> don't know how that would work out license wise.

This looks best to me....mm3dnow.h should have been in gcc a lot
earlier than 4.0.

> * Then there's the option of writing our own wrapping header (which
> apparently was done for mmx)

Those MMX wrappers didn't do any thing more than inline asms: even
registers have to be specified explicitly!

> * or rewriting it all in assembler instead of using builtins.

Will impair readability greatly or even performance....

--
Zuxy
Beauty is truth,