[MPlayer-dev-eng] MEncoder license inquiry

Guillaume Poirier gpoirier at mplayerhq.hu
Fri Aug 4 09:39:32 CEST 2006

Hi,

yichun.huang at kodak.com wrote:
> Hi MPlayer team,
>
> I'm the developer of MediaCoder (http://mediacoder.sf.net), an audio/video
> transcoder software which uses MEncoder as video encoder. MediaCoder is
> made up of a GUI application and a library. The library is the glue to put
> together all of the decoders, encoders (including MEncoder, which is also
> the most important one) and tools it supports and let them work together.
> MediaCoder is distributed under GPL license. Recently I'm going to make a
> branch of current MediaCoder source code tree to make a new library (still
> open-source) for use in a commercial software (part of it will be
> closed-source). I want to know if this action is permitted or is it
> possible for me to be granted the right to do this? Looking forward for
> your reponse.

MPlayer being GPL, the only constrain is that the modified sources of
MPlayer have to be accessible. It's better if there are available in
the form of a CVS/SVN/whatever repository, so that it's easier to
track changes (and eventually merge them in mainline), but the GPL
doesn't specify this.

Guillaume