[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 26 21:48:17 CEST 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 19:42:04 +0200
Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:

> Sure, there're areas (like embedded/small/old systems) where there's
> quite limited resources however I think for this purpose custom GUI
> should be created ANYWAY, since MPlayer is "a bit" complex to write a
> really flexible GUI knows almost everything you can do from CLI as
> well: this need bloated GUI anyway regardless the toolkit.

It seems rather contradictory for the faster-at-all-costs MPlayer to
have a slow and bloated official GUI.

> Even using gtk1.2 would cause wasting resources, since as I've written
> before, many systems running xfce/gnome using GTK+2.

gtk2 is mostly backwards compatible with gtk1, so you can compile the
current GUI with either.

I'm sure I'm not typical, but I stick strictly with GTK1 apps, because
of the huge performance difference even on my 1.2GHz system.  It
doesn't help that GTK2's file selector dialog is the worst I've ever
seen, and how much more whitespace it inserts between every object (no
matter which theme).