[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Apr 26 19:42:04 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:06:35PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > code. The graphical toolkit can be a C++ library, as long as there are
> > clean C bindings IMHO, but maybe it's better to stick to a C graphical
> > toolkit too. I'd prefer GTK 1.2 as that can be used on low-end
>
> I would say not even a toolkit can be C++. This just creates huge
> runtime bloat and makes it unusable on C++-free systems.
>
> > machines/embedded systems too (videophones). GTK+2.0 is too much bloat
> > IMHO.
>
> I agree totally, GTK is way too bloated too. If you're writing a media

Besides I agree you should notice that majority of desktops already uses
GTK+2 now anyway (gnome, or even said-to-be-lightweight xfce) or QT (KDE)
where QT is the same class as GTK+2 from this view point at least imho.
Sure, there're areas (like embedded/small/old systems) where there's quite
limited resources however I think for this purpose custom GUI should be
created ANYWAY, since MPlayer is "a bit" complex to write a really flexible
GUI knows almost everything you can do from CLI as well: this need bloated
GUI anyway regardless the toolkit. Even using gtk1.2 would cause wasting
resources, since as I've written before, many systems running xfce/gnome
using GTK+2. Using some application with 1.2 in the same time just creating
more memory usage (well, I'm not sure: it depends private data usage of
processes using apps with version 2.0+ may requite much more memory than 1.2
than just code size? I don't know).

Anyway the best solution would be an advanced slave mode where you can use
several different GUIs out-of-sourcetree (it also would help to clear mplayer
codebase since GUI is too deeply integrated and complicates things)

--
- Gábor