[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Apr 26 19:46:09 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 13:06 -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> I agree totally, GTK is way too bloated too. If you're writing a media
> player gui with all kinds of custom widgets then IMO it's nonsense to
> use an existing gui toolkit. Instead you just use the low level
> functionality...

Implementing just a good file selection dialog is a lot of work using
low-level functionality, and not worth it IMO. MPlayer is already quite
usable with the command-line interface; implementing a light "Poor Man's
GUI" is unlikely to make anyone happy (people who want to avoid "bloat"
use the command line, and those who want to use full-featured GUIs
integrated with their usual environment would not be satisfied with a
custom light GUI).

If you want to make a new GUI for MPlayer that would be a significant
improvement over the command line for at least _some_ people, then IMO
it should be done with a toolkit like gtk2 and without worrying about
"bloat". The developers who want to strip everything to a minimum are
not the target audience. However, I agree with those that think the
place for such a GUI is probably not within the core MPlayer source
tree.