[MPlayer-dev-eng] MPlayer GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Apr 26 19:42:30 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 01:06:35PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 06:17:52PM +0200, Ivo wrote:
> > code. The graphical toolkit can be a C++ library, as long as there are
> > clean C bindings IMHO, but maybe it's better to stick to a C graphical
> > toolkit too. I'd prefer GTK 1.2 as that can be used on low-end

Well, 1.2 does not support UTF-8 and crashes with arts (though that
wouldn't be a problem with a completely external Gui).

> > machines/embedded systems too (videophones). GTK+2.0 is too much bloat
> > IMHO.
>
> I agree totally, GTK is way too bloated too. If you're writing a media
> player gui with all kinds of custom widgets then IMO it's nonsense to
> use an existing gui toolkit. Instead you just use the low level
> functionality...

What are you thinking of? I don't find the lack of portability (not to
mention the uglyness) of the raw X API much better - that is despite the
fact that I prefer it to e.g. the Win32 API.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger