[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Erik Lunchpail erik_27can at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 22 16:44:30 CEST 2006

--- Corey Hickey <bugfood-ml at fatooh.org> wrote:

> wouldn't
> tested
> make
> exists
> >>>

> >> I'm not familiar with win32 MPlayer. Does Windows users compile
> their
> >> MPlayer from cvs of use precompiled binaries? If it's mainly
> >> precompiled i think it's better to commit before release (as long
> as
> >> win32 gui is usable and not too broken).
> >

> > Judging from what I read on forums, it looks like most of them take
> > precompiled binaries.
>
> Yes, I second that. There are two reasons, I think:
>
> 1. Most win32 users don't know how to compile software.
> 2. Setting up development software on windows is much harder than on
> unix.
>
> As for merging the win32 gui, I'd probably say go for it whenever
> it's
> ready. Most of the precompiled builds I've seen are made from CVS
> periodically and, if it stays that way, win32 users will get the gui
> whenever their favorite build maker updates CVS rather than when a
> release contains the gui.
>
> If I'm wrong and the build makers will stick with pre8 for a long
> time,
> then what I wrote above doesn't apply.
>
> -Corey

Yea most windows users don't compile their own binaries, and those that
do most likely don't use the gui, so i'm sure it hasn't been tested too
extensively.

I have no prob leaving it out of pre8 and perhaps adding it to CVS
afterwards, that way it can get some better testing/additions for pre9.

Regards,
Erik