[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Fri Apr 21 18:32:46 CEST 2006

Guillaume Poirier wrote:
>>> I imagine that win32 gui is out of the question for pre9? It wouldn't
>>> be safe to ship such a large piece of code without having it tested
>>> beforehand? (on the other hand, it merging it before release will make
>>> it more likely to get more testing, as ppl will know that it exists
>>> looking at the release changelog).
>>>

>> I'm not familiar with win32 MPlayer. Does Windows users compile their
>> MPlayer from cvs of use precompiled binaries? If it's mainly
>> precompiled i think it's better to commit before release (as long as
>> win32 gui is usable and not too broken).
>

> Judging from what I read on forums, it looks like most of them take
> precompiled binaries.

Yes, I second that. There are two reasons, I think:

1. Most win32 users don't know how to compile software.
2. Setting up development software on windows is much harder than on unix.

As for merging the win32 gui, I'd probably say go for it whenever it's
ready. Most of the precompiled builds I've seen are made from CVS
periodically and, if it stays that way, win32 users will get the gui
whenever their favorite build maker updates CVS rather than when a
release contains the gui.

If I'm wrong and the build makers will stick with pre8 for a long time,
then what I wrote above doesn't apply.

-Corey