[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo driver for S3 Virge

andrew.calkin at gmail.com andrew.calkin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 08:27:58 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 05:39:28PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be better to merge this into vidix? It already requires root
> > for some operations, so there's no gain in keeping it as a separate vo.
>
> No, it would be better to make it a kernel module or else use the mmio
> registers mapped from /dev/fb0. The last thing we need is more of this
> vidix root nonsense.

Whilst a kernel module is very useful, for the case where many card
types are to be supported, with TV out enabled, vesafb is useful. With
vidix, this allows h/w acceleration even with such a generic setup,
which is utilised in e.g. GeeXboX. Obviously it also has uses in
console fb driver, but that is not to say it has no use in VIDIX, or
that VIDIX is useless, IMHO. On a single-machine setup, VIDIX may
have little use, but for a live-CD distribution, it is quite useful.

//Andrew