[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo driver for S3 Virge

Mark Sanderson mmp at kiora.ath.cx
Wed Apr 5 04:04:18 CEST 2006

Mierzejewski wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 04 April 2006 at 18:50, Mark Sanderson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have put together a driver for S3 Virge cards based off the
tdfxfb
> > > driver for 3dfx cards by Mark Zealey.  It's a hardware driver that

> > > has YUV conversion and scaling, double buffering and direct
> > > rendering.  The code comes from my custom TV program (modified
quite
> > > a bit), and before that mostly xfree86. I'm distributing it as is
of
> > > course, meaning it may only work on my system (s3 virge/gx 4mb, in

> > > vesa 1024x768/32bit framebuffer mode).  But let me know if it's
> > > useful or if I can improve it. Here's the patch against the
> > > MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 source. configure -enable-s3fb
> > > mplayer -vo s3fb -vf yuy2
> >
> > Please make a patch against current CVS.
I have added some image format fixes, and compiled a new patch against
the CVS from this morning.

> > Wouldn't it be better to merge this into vidix? It already requires
> > root for some operations, so there's no gain in keeping it as a
> > separate vo.
>
> No, it would be better to make it a kernel module or else use the mmio
registers mapped from /dev/fb0. The last thing we need is more of this
vidix root nonsense.
If you get Xfree going, then you won't need this driver.  If you don't
bother with anything more than just linux, then this driver can save
some effort.
I'll look into vidix and framebuffer extensions at some point in the
future.

Regards,
Mark.