[MPlayer-dev-eng] libvo driver for S3 Virge

Tue Apr 4 22:34:06 CEST 2006

Hi Mark Sanderson!

 On 2006.04.05 at 05:50:17 +1200, Mark Sanderson wrote next:

> Wow! Does it work with s3 virge/dx? It's too slow for using software
> scaling (it can't throughput hi-res rgb image @30 fps), and can do some
> kind of scaling in hardware (quickview pro for DOS can make a use of
> it), not sure about yuv conversion.
> I think DX/GX are similar (can't really remember) so you should try it
> out. My card (GX2) seems quite capable, although I put this together
> largely because my CPU is too slow for software scaling...

Your quoting is very strange...

Anyway, DX and GX should be very similar, but IMHO GX/2 differs from GX
and DX. Well, at least according to S3.

I thought that slow CPU makes software scaling impossible, however it
turns out that 1) yuv->rgb conversion can be very fast even on low-end
cpus and 2) I couldn't use software scaling with Virge DX on Athlon XP
2500+, which was fast enough with to do this with different card.
Displaying 800x600x32 (or was it 24?) 24-30 fps was impossible.

So sw scaling is also needs faster videocard.

--

Vladimir