[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Versioning scheme

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Sat Sep 17 15:28:59 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 08:14 +0300, Oded Shimon wrote:
>  I like the 1.0pre system...

Version numbers are rarely very meaningful, but at least some projects
have some sort of rationale for their versioning.  I don't see any any
such reason to MPlayer's versioning.  I don't like <year>.<quarter> idea
either, but at least it makes more sense than what's used now.  1.0preX
implies there's some roadmap to 1.0, and some bugs or features are being
fixed or implemented to reach a 1.0 plan, but I don't really see that
kind of direction.

I've always been partial to the major.minor.bugfix system, for even
minor being stable, and odd minor being development.  It's not perfect,
but when you know a project uses that scheme, there's at least some
information conveyed in version numbers like 1.1.5 and 1.2.12.

Cheers,
Jason.