[MPlayer-dev-eng] Help, im trying to enhance a codec, and i dont know whats going wrong.

Roberto Togni r_togni at tiscali.it
Thu Oct 6 21:36:57 CEST 2005

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:20:44 +1100
Steven Johnson <mplayer at sakuraindustries.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im trying to enhance the FLIC Codec in FFMPEG.  I dont think my problem
> is in FFMPEG however.  Im testing with mplayer, and if I play a normal
> 8Bpp Paletised FLC, it works fine.  If i try and play an FLX (15bpp)
> MPlayer crashes, it seems to be failing to detect an appropriate mode to
> play the 15Bpp mode at under X11/Linux, but this seems pretty odd.  It
> doesnt seem to be crashing because of anything im doing in the ffmpeg
> Flic code, it seems to be crashing because ive set:
>
> avctx->pix_fmt = PIX_FMT_RGB555;
>
> for the 15 bpp flx's, instead of
>
> avctx->pix_fmt = PIX_FMT_PAL8;
>
> which is what is set for normal 8Bpp paletised Flics.

[...]
VDec: vo config request - 200 x 80 (preferred csp: BGR 15-bit)
Trying filter chain: vo
vo_debug: query(BGR 8-bit) returned 0x0 (i=0)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
SwScale params: -1 x -1 (-1=no scaling)
Trying filter chain: scale vo
vo_debug: query(BGR 8-bit) returned 0x0 (i=0)
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
[...]

Looks like the video is configured for paletted bgr8 anyway, did you
added BGR15 to out line in codecs.conf in fffli section? If not,
replace the current "out BGR8" with "out BGR15,BGR8 query" to tell
MPlayer that the codec have two possible output format (BGR15 and
BGR8), but only one of them is supported for a specific file (query).

If that's not the problem, try the codec also on ffplay to exclude any
problem with MPlayer code, else post more details.

btw i strongly suggest you to use cvs version of ffmpeg and mplayer to
develope, expecially if you're using and64 as suggested by your output.

Ciao,
 Roberto