[MPlayer-dev-eng] Help, im trying to enhance a codec, and i dont know whats going wrong.

Steven Johnson mplayer at sakuraindustries.com
Thu Oct 6 12:20:44 CEST 2005

Hi,

Im trying to enhance the FLIC Codec in FFMPEG.  I dont think my problem
is in FFMPEG however.  Im testing with mplayer, and if I play a normal
8Bpp Paletised FLC, it works fine.  If i try and play an FLX (15bpp)
MPlayer crashes, it seems to be failing to detect an appropriate mode to
play the 15Bpp mode at under X11/Linux, but this seems pretty odd.  It
doesnt seem to be crashing because of anything im doing in the ffmpeg
Flic code, it seems to be crashing because ive set:

avctx->pix_fmt = PIX_FMT_RGB555;

for the 15 bpp flx's, instead of

avctx->pix_fmt = PIX_FMT_PAL8;

which is what is set for normal 8Bpp paletised Flics.

Attached is the program trace im generating.  I know this isnt a bug in
MPlayer, cause ive introduced it in my development and im not reporting
it as such. Im after some pointers as to what to look for, how to go
about tracking the problem.  Im looking in libmpcodecs/vd.c at the code
in "mpcodec_config_vo" and my gut tells me something in there isnt
working, but im not really sure what, or how to go about fixing it, it
all seems rather arcane at the moment.

Do i need to do anything special to be able to display 15Bpp RGB formats
under MPlayer?  What have i missed?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Steven