[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Nov 28 18:16:58 CET 2005

On 11/27/2005 10:50 PM, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 08:43:02PM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo
> Pinochet wrote:
>
>> Default output filename of mencoder is always test.avi regardles of
>> the muxer been used. Without trying to step on a 'extension
>> are/arent meaningles' flame, think about windows user/progs that
>> rely on filename extension to make 'open-with' asociations, icons
>> disposal, etc. it may even be some apps that rely only on the
>> extension for filetype identification.
>
> Closing this thread then, can we vote for one of the exposed
> alternatives?
>
> 1.- force -o

FTLIW, if a change is made (and I can see why it might be desirable,
just for full accuracy if nothing else), I'd support this - on
condition, as I've said before, that we make the fact that a default can
be specified in the config file explicit in the documentation.

> 2.- harcode output filename taking care of the unknown extension:
>
> 	A: outfile
> 	B: mencoderout
> 	C: outfile-mencoder
> 	D: outfilemencoder

I'd take this as a fallback - some variant of any of B, C or D, but not
A because it's too generic.

> 3.- harcode output filename, been consecuent with other's dump filenames
> 	without taking care of the unknown extension issue:
>
> 	A: outfile.mencoder
> 	B: mencoder.out

If we were supporting only OSes (or, rather, programs on those OSes)
which don't attach any special significance to "filename extensions",
this would be simply a variant of option 2. As things stand, I don't
think it's really a good alternative.

There is, of course, a fourth possibility, even though it may be too
difficult to code feasibly at this stage: detect the file type and
determine the default filename (or, rather, the default extension) based
on that. I don't expect anyone to support that unless they're willing to
do the work necessary to code it, but the option does theoretically
exist, and it is in principle probably the most correct way.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.