[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Mon Nov 28 19:44:28 CET 2005

Hi,

Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> Hi,
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:50:47AM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> > Closing this thread then, can we vote for one of the exposed alternatives?
>
> I just can't see much point in this change, the only format mencoder
> really supports that isn't constantly broken is avi, so with most users
> test.avi will give the right extension.
> Those using the other formats have to know and learn a lot of other
> things anyway, if they don't get the extension thing I don't think they
> will get what is needed to create a useable MPEG file.

  I somehow agree. Also changing the default output file eliminates
some backward compatibility (not that i think so many made use of it).
So if we can avoid it i would rather vote for not changing atm.

> > 1.- force -o
>
> This is just a pain and it will not make clueless users magically get a
> clue.

  Also it is abuse of the option scheme (assuming every arg starting with
`-' is an option):
If you _must_ specify `-o <outfile>' where is this _optional_ then? ;)

> > 3.- harcode output filename, been consecuent with other's dump filenames
> > 	without taking care of the unknown extension issue:
> >
> > 	B: mencoder.out
>
> If it really has to be this, I'd take this  one, at least it avoids accidential
> overwriting (I am one of those who give everything the name "test"
> which could clash with test.avi *g*).

  Well maybe it is the best of the ones listed maybe not;
i dunno. As i said above i would rather not change it.

  Maybe it would also be better to use the extension specified
to detect which muxer to use for output similar to ffmpeg/lavf.
AFAICT that would still hold backward compatibility when done
correctly, meaning if default output stays test.avi the default
muxer chosen would be mplayer avi muxer and -of would generally
only be needed when you want to use lavf or you want to use
an exotic outputname (with non lavf muxer) or just backward
compatibility. Am i missing something? Well, at least i won't
implement it as i have still way to much other things waiting
to be finished or reviewed.

  Alex (beastd)