[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Mon Nov 28 12:17:46 CET 2005

Hi,
On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:50:47AM -0300, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:
> Closing this thread then, can we vote for one of the exposed alternatives?

I just can't see much point in this change, the only format mencoder
really supports that isn't constantly broken is avi, so with most users
test.avi will give the right extension.
Those using the other formats have to know and learn a lot of other
things anyway, if they don't get the extension thing I don't think they
will get what is needed to create a useable MPEG file.

> 1.- force -o

This is just a pain and it will not make clueless users magically get a
clue.

> 3.- harcode output filename, been consecuent with other's dump filenames
> 	without taking care of the unknown extension issue:
>
> 	B: mencoder.out

If it really has to be this, I'd take this  one, at least it avoids accidential
overwriting (I am one of those who give everything the name "test"
which could clash with test.avi *g*).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger