[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-DOCS] Re: letter to distro mplayer packagers?

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sun Nov 27 21:39:03 CET 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 22:13, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> ATM oss is tried before alsa and wrappers are tried after direct
> output drivers.

Atleast on my own system, OSS emulation through alsa works
alot better for mplayer than using alsa straight, perversely enough.

> But for ease of use and desktop systems it might be preferable to
> try some wrappers first (e.g. jack, arts, polypaudio, don't know
> about esd (does it still only do nearest neighbour resampling?),

Alsa does nearest neighbour or something equally dreadful too.
Atleast, I haven't found a way to convince it to use a better quality
resample.

Trying arts and esd first would be OK in my opinion, IF there was
a way to try esd and arts, without a sound server getting automatically
spawned. If the user doesn't have either running, she probably does
not want to use them. Arts and esd have their own bag of A-V sync
issues too..

> what does gnome use?) and then alsa before oss (since oss is getting
> obsolete).

See above.

> Also AFAIK the alsa driver still does not use the default
> device by default, but wants to open hw:0.0 which is of course nicer for
> MPlayer, but can be annoying if you expect mplayer to respect your
> dmix setup without extra configuration like most alsa apps do...

MPlayer with alsa and dmix is broken for me. Maybe it works with alsa-cvs,
or some newer version, though.

The default should probably be set to default, I agree.