[MPlayer-dev-eng] DRM functionality as part of decoder of mplayer running on embedded linux

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Fri Jun 24 11:24:07 CEST 2005

Anup kodpadi wrote:
> Thanks Rich,
>
> Also Kindly let me know if there are any other technologies similar to
> windows media DRM 10  (with open source) which can be integrated with
> our mplayer so that it can play all DRM protected files.

Digital Restriction Management is completely stupid since you can always
 capture the data at the end...

Anyway if you want media trackability you can already use what's around
for other reason. Just to name one: gpg or whatever system that is is
based to public key. Given that there are already open source
implementations that won't be a gpl infringement as long you provide the
code and it would just require you to think about a smart way to
generate the key pair.

my 2 eurocents, yet patent free (whoever would implement that way should
avoid patenting that since is just another application of asymmetric
keys, certificates (if you want to have the pain of such infrastructure)
and so on)

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero