[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Is it possible to compile mplayer/mencoder as a lib called by other applications?

Bryan Wilkerson bryanwilkerson at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 16:23:22 CEST 2005

--- Bo Xie <xiebopublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> >    Is it possible to compile mplayer/mencoder as a
> lib? I mean I want to
> > static link mplayer/mencoder lib (instead of as a
> standalone application) to
> > do something about encoder/decoder. Is it
> possible?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Xie Bo

The answer is no.  I've raised this as a request
before and got the usual lazy reply: "why would you
want that, the -slave mode is better".  I, however,
disagree and think parsing std output from the mplayer
process is archaic at best and problematic at worst. I
have therefore starting working on a patch to provide
a lib interface.  I have a version that works on
Linux, but not Windows (I swore off Windows a few
years ago:)).

Would/could you port it to Mindows?   It's mostly
makefile stuff and ifdef'ing around the pthreads
calls.

It would have a much better shot at being accepted if
there was Windows support.

-bryan