[MPlayer-dev-eng] osx now on intel cpu's

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 7 13:21:42 CEST 2005

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Guys, what's all this gloom about?  Isn't one of the advantages of using
> free software the fact that you don't have to buy a new machine every
> other year?

No gloom at all, probably just because I'm ore a Linux/PPC guy. If I
were somebody that believe that MacOSX was/is the best platform ever and
I invested lots of time on learning how to code for it... well I'd be
more than disappointed because I'm lacking now a huge pr machine.

> Even if Apple will stop selling PPCs in a year or two, they
> will still be an important platform for free software for the next five
> years at least.

Given that apple was just a seller of ppc and not a produce and that
there are at least 2 producer willing to sell their chip (and some
people willing to sell desktop solution based on it and linux), I don't
feel that blue. I'm just afraid that those would need more support whan
before.

I do like the architecture, I won't care too much about the logo on the
box if I can put there a free operating system.

Romain looks more interested in the operating system and knows the
tecnical issues about moving to x86.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero