[MPlayer-dev-eng] unscaled OSD for overlay vos

Sun Jun 5 13:39:17 CEST 2005

Hi Sascha Sommer!

 On 2005.06.05 at 12:17:30 +0200, Sascha Sommer wrote next:

> Hi,
> currently the overlay vos have a big disadvantage when rendering very
> small videos in fullscreen because the scaled osd will look rather ugly.
> Due to the nature of the overlay the scaled image can't be accessed.
> Also displaying the osd in the black borders is not possible, when these
> borders are part of the window and not part of the video image. I
> therefore wonder if it wouldn't be possible to always render the osd
> onto the window (over the colorkey). Other solutions?
> What do you think?

My friend solved this problem (in Crystal Player) by upscaling
low-resolution videos. Optimized for 2x only case bicubic scaler works
pretty fast and introduces no noticeable quality loss. Quality of fonts
rendered in 640x480 for former 320x240 video is good. Sure, if original
resolution is 160x120 osd quality won't be good anyway, but that's
pretty rare case.

By rendering osd over the colorkey you'll lose alpha channel and fonts
antialiasing...

--

Vladimir