[MPlayer-dev-eng] Multicast video streams. (new PATCH included)

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Sun Jan 30 16:03:41 CET 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 12:13:37 +0100, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at tiscali.it> wrote:

>> the cons are:
>> it's totally untested, how can I test it?  :)

I'm testing it with a TV streaming server from (www.exterity.co.uk).

They also make little encoder and decoder boxes that aren't too
expensive. The endoders take scart input and stream out a SAP
announcement and a multicast MPEG2-TS stream. The decoders take
a CAT5 and plug into a TV, showing a menu of all channels being
streamed. Very nice products.

In lieu of something like that, it should be fairly easy to use
vls to multicast stream some content. You could also use vlc.

>> it doesn't include the patch to LIVE's demux_rtp.cpp yet, so it
>> *should* work only with the mcast code in network.c

Not fully working, see below. I really don't have time to dig into
this. I was hoping not to get dragged into having to remember how
this all works :)

The demux_rtp.cpp changes can be seperated from the mcast:// URI
scheme, yes.

If you wanted to support streaming from Kasenna VOD servers you
would need these changes. At present, after the RTSP exchanges
you are expecting RTP/MPEG2. These changes were needed to allow
UDP/MPEG2. This is all unicast related.

There will be a change in LIVE.COM soon which should allow this
to happen automatically, so your patch is better for how things
stand at the moment.

Dermot.
--

Playing mcast://239.192.160.4:5000.
Filename for url is now mcast://239.192.160.4:5000