[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer: PT_GNU_STACK RWE

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Wed Feb 23 17:53:28 CET 2005

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 07:20:02AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> >At least 99% of all MPlayer code should run fine with a non-executable
> >stack. The most critical parts are binary codec support, but IMHO you
> >won't want that anyway in an environment that justifies using SELinux...
>
> So, you're saying binary codec support requires the executable stack,
> therefore you can't get rid of it? If that's the case, then maybe
> I should just give mplayer the appropriate permissions.

Or compile without binary codec support... ?
I mean, if you need a secure environment, then loading executable code
from a Windows DLL is not a good idea in the first place.  Besides, I
have never had a frequent need for binary codecs in practice.

What environment requires all of SELinux, MPlayer, and binary codecs?

--Joey

--
"Are disorders necessarily bad?" --Ike