[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon Feb 14 21:36:22 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 02:36:40 +0100
Luca Barbato <lu_zero at gentoo.org> wrote:

> Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:
> > gcc.  I guess the intel compiler has some assembly features, but I do
> > not think that your planned gcc replacement is going to be the Intel
> > compiler.
> There are some fan of tcc (a C only compiler that is blazing fast but
> not for ppc), since it's current limitation it isn't for me (yet), nor I
> have time/skill to port it on ppc...

tcc wont make it far enough to replace gcc, its design is too limited
to the x86 architecture, it's all in one and not easy to extend IMHO.
I doubt that it generates faster code than gcc.
But yes, it's damn fast.

> Please stop saying that C++ is easier to maintain since isn't language
> related but developer related.

That's actualy wrong. Using the right language can really help
maintaining code.
But in this case C and C++ are too similar to have a big difference.

> C++ templates are interesting since you
> offload some computation at compile time, but I'm afraid it couldn't
> help so much in mplayer. In the end, please code nicely crafted C if you
> want to contribute to mplayer and/or please make your media player
> project in C++ to prove that mplayer isn't yet the best coded media player.

MPlayer isn't the best coded media player, every devel knows that.
If you are looking for nice code, go to xine or vlc.
But MPlayer is in >90% of all casses the fastest player.
Not to talk about that it can digest most of the file formats around
and even horribly broken files.

				Attila Kinali

--
egp ist vergleichbar mit einem ikea bausatz fuer flugzeugtraeger
			-- reeler in +kaosu