[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Andreu Escudero canuda10 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:47:40 CET 2005

> The man page doesn't look that clear to me.  It says "three pass" four times,
> but also says "Nth pass", so which is it, three passes or N passes?  If it's N
> pass, what are the allowable values of N, other than three?  Three or more?
> One or more?  If N can be two, is there any difference between N pass with two
> passes and "two pass" mode?  If there is not, then what is the point of two
> pass mode?

>From the man:
3	Nth pass (second and third passes of three pass encoding)

it's not difficult to interpret it as, for example:
3       Nth pass (second, third and fourth passes of four pass encoding).

perhaps the reasonable thing to do is change the manual to something like:
3       Nth pass (2 .. N passes of N pass encoding)

from the man:
The third pass (vpass=3) is the same as the second pass, except that
it has the second pass's stats to work from
and:
In three pass mode, the second pass (vpass=3, that is not a typo) does
both: It first reads the stats, then overwrites them. You might want
to backup di- vx2pass.log before doing this if there is any pos-
sibility that you will have to cancel MEncoder.

so the only point of two pass mode is removing the necessity to back
up the log file, because it gets overwriten using N pass mode (or
deleted or at least damaged if it is cancelled), while it is not
overwriten using 2 pass mode. So if you do a 1rst pass, and then
different 2nd passes (I've done that, trying different options), you
won't have to change your scripts to make them back up the log file if
you only use 2 pass mode.

Das Experimental Kunstwerk