[MPlayer-dev-eng] 3 pass encoding syntax poll

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Fri Feb 11 13:56:23 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Andreu Escudero wrote:
> misunderstand, simple leave pass=1 and pass=2 as is, and change the
> "3" for "n" in order to do a "pass=n" for N-pass encodings (but using
>
> The man is absolutely clear:
> vpass=<1-3>
> 	Activates internal two (or three) pass mode, only specify if you wish
> to use two (or three) pass en- coding.
> 	1
> 	first pass (also see turbo)
> 	2
> 	second pass
> 	3
> 	Nth pass (second and third passes of three pass encoding)

The man page doesn't look that clear to me.  It says "three pass" four times,
but also says "Nth pass", so which is it, three passes or N passes?  If it's N
pass, what are the allowable values of N, other than three?  Three or more?
One or more?  If N can be two, is there any difference between N pass with two
passes and "two pass" mode?  If there is not, then what is the point of two
pass mode?