[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Thu Feb 10 10:46:15 CET 2005

Moin,

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 10:28:57 +0100
Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org> wrote:

> > (have C++ coders ever heard about Turing for example? you can do
> > everything in C too, hey)
>
> Then why not code everything in Assembly? Or do a "cat > mplayer" and
> enter opcodes by hand. It's about chosing the right tool for the
> job. For MPlayer, C++ isn't the right tool, but for a lot of other cases
> it is (or C is at least a major inconvenience).

I wouldn't say C++ is the wrong tool for MPlayer. We are already
doing quite a lot of object oriented programming within MPlayer
(just think about all the [av][of] modules).

And no, it's not true that C++ has to be slower than C, it
just depends on how well you are able to write C++ and
how well you know what kind of code is produced.
It's just that C programmers think it has to be slower because
it does more.

> > I think C++ people are somewhat snobbish, at least I see everywhere
> > that that want to rewrite everything in C++ which works good in C for
> > ages ...
>
> And C coders are elitist in that they think that every language other
> than C sucks big time. So what else is new?

Full ACK.

				Attila Kinali

--
郷に入れば郷に従え