[MPlayer-dev-eng] c++ version of mplayer.c

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Feb 10 10:21:50 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 10:09:35AM +0100, Arpi wrote:
> > > haven't pursued this since, as I was too busy, but now I have some free
> > > time and I could work on it once more.  I include it to give you an
> > > idea of what it looks like after a first pass.
> >
> > Well, nice, but it will be also nice to recode MPlayer in python,
> > in perl, or even in PHP ... Also this comment will sounds as flame,
>
> why not c# ? :)
> it's said faster than any other language, at least by m$...
>
> anyway it would be fun to play video by doing
> wget http://localhost/mplayer.php?file=pron.avi&opts=-vo+xmga :)

:) But just think about the problem severely: to change something which
requires major rework should be worth for one or more reasons. It's a common
madness from C++ people to 'rewrite everything in C++', like ideas to have
Linux kernel modules written in C++ (or even the whole kernel), and such. I
have never understood the POINT for it. It's something which has _NO_
advantage at all. If someone fills that C++ would be the BEST programming
language for coding mplayer (have C++ coders ever heard about Turing for
example? you can do everything in C too, hey), and assume for a while that
they're right, then Java people also can treat that Java would be the best.
Or Pascal coders. Or whatever. So what now? Fork mplayer to C++, Java,
Pascal, Delphi, whatever versions? I don't get the point. Also for starting
a NEW project you may choose programming language to code, but an EXISTING
project where everything is already written in C (it also means that its
developers CAN code in C which is not imperative for C++) what is the major
advantage(s) to REWRITE the project in C++, to make developers learn C++,
etc. I think C++ people are somewhat snobbish, at least I see everywhere
that that want to rewrite everything in C++ which works good in C for ages

- Gábor