[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Dec 31 20:31:20 CET 2005

On 12/31/2005 11:47 AM, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 05:21:32PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 03:53:11PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> back_ptrs
>>
>> Is this rule set in stone? I've seen it many times used in either
>> way.
>
> Yes, it's a matter of grammar.  Plural is constructed with "s".  "'s"
> is used for the possessive case, i.e. to indicate what belong's to
> who (that's a *very* basic explanation, but it should work for you).
>
> Example:
>
> one girl - two girls
>
> Oded's NUT implementation - the NUT implementation made by Oded

See my comments in my previous post, and Corey's clear if simple
explanation of the principle.

(Incidentally, Corey: thanks for going over that explanation. Misuse of
the possessive and similar forms is one of my biggest pet peeves in
grammar, potentially surpassed pretty much only by things like the noun
"every day" vs. the adjective "everyday" and the valid "all right" vs.
the invalid "alright".)

>> -    max distance of frame_startcodes, the distance may only be larger if
>> -    there is only a single frame between the two frame_startcodes this can
>> +    max distance of syncpoints, the distance may only be larger if
>> +    there is only a single frame between the two syncpoints. This can
>
> s/only/no more/

ITYM "no more than".

>> +    syncpoints MUST be placed immediately before a keyframe if more
>> +    than max_distance passed since the previous keyframe of the same stream.
>> +    The exception to this is if the timestamp to be set for this syncpoint
>> +    is identical to the timestamp of the last syncpoint. Instead, the syncpoint
>> +    is to be put immediately BEFORE the timestamp will change (So it will
>> +    still have the same timestamp).
>
> This still sounds a bit awkward, but let's fix that once the draft is
>  approaching its final stages.

If you're going to have the final parenthetical comment begin within a
sentence, I maintain in this instance that it needs to not be
capitalized. (I would probably also say "so that" instead.)

>> +    Bit  Name             Description
>> +      1  is_key           if set, frame is keyframe
>> +      2  end_of_relavence if set, stream has no relevance on
>
> relEvAnce

None the less important for being in the name of a variable.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.