[MPlayer-dev-eng] poll idea (and the results will be useful for packagers)

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Wed Dec 14 00:13:30 CET 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 00:29, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> So the point of the poll would be to see what should be enabled by
> default in the official binary packages.

Binary packages are inherently flawed in the sense that features can't
be optionally be enabled based on what else is installed. This is also
part mplayer deficiency, and also advantage, in that it has no capability
to open .so's runtime to discover availability of external libs. Advantage
in the sense that it doesn't suffer penalty of dynamic linking into that
code.

> Obviously the poll would need to be web-based for greater accessibility.

I hope that's a joke. Maybe sarcasm/troll, in which case I'd feel stupid for
replying seriously to the first part which seemed serious.