[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Sun Dec 11 20:53:54 CET 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 14:31 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> - it will look like utter crap on low-resolution movies (think 160x112
>   or even 64x64)

This can be solved with software scaling.  For output to my NTSC
television, I do -vf scale=640:-2,expand=640:480,overlay.  This
performance penalty here isn't a big deal for any reasonably current
computer.

> - on high resolution movies it's a HUGE performance hit due to
>   additional memcpy of the whole frame along with the alpha blending.
>   afaik there is no workaround for this (i studied it heavily during
>   mplayer g2 development before it was abandoned).

In general, applying _any_ filters to high resolution video (HDTV
content, say) is a huge performance hit.  My Sempron 3000+ can't play
the 1080p X3 trailer in software, and that's without any filters.
Dealing with high resolution content pretty much rules out most kinds of
software post-processing, and to even play the stuff you need hardware
support.  So yes, overlaying content on high resolution video is
problematic, but the same can be said about any post-processing.

Of course, when your interface depends on this, then I agree, you
definitely have a problem.  This is partly the reason I abandoned the
mplayer-as-a-platform idea for my project (MeBox).

Cheers,
Jason.