[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Dec 11 20:31:23 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:37:12PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Benjamin Zores wrote:
> [snip]
>
> To sum up the idea is to use what's already present in mplayer to act as
> canvas itself, using the current event routines and stumble on the
> architectural limits of mplayer.

I don't like it. Rendering widgets onto the movie surface has the
following two major problems:

- it will look like utter crap on low-resolution movies (think 160x112
  or even 64x64)

- on high resolution movies it's a HUGE performance hit due to
  additional memcpy of the whole frame along with the alpha blending.
  afaik there is no workaround for this (i studied it heavily during
  mplayer g2 development before it was abandoned).

rich