[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Sun Dec 11 01:38:01 CET 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Luca Barbato told me about a graphical toolkit derived from enlightmen
> project that look very promising... sadly, I don't remember what was
> its name.

Interesting projects:

ewl (that is based on ecore (event handling) and evas (canvas))

etk (that is based on the same foundation but has a more gtkesque structure)

e widgetry code (e itself has nice widgets that could be tore apart for
our usage)

www.get-e.org to see something done with those.

Turn off:

the windows port of ecore is at least an embryo, not sure about macosx.

evas should run fine on all the target systems well IIRC.

Still gtk2 may be not as slick as qt4 (since was put on diet when gtk
was getting bloat...) but the C++ runtime makes Qt not so nice. Not to
mention the lack of C bindings and the fact that not everybody loves C++.

other solutions: wrapping to have multiple bindings (and maybe start
prototyping everything in python/perl6/ruby), build a minimalistic
toolkit using directly xcb/xcl cocoa or winapi, use a canvas and build
an event loop

The problem is that one would be an overwrapped thing the other would
took too much time and has no gain beside avoid discussions.

The a relatively good canvas could be either cairo or evas or sdl .

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Leader
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero