[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Sat Dec 10 22:51:29 CET 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 22:22 +0100, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> I do think it would be great to offer as much things as possible
> though slave mode as any progress made on slave mode could be used by
> other 3rd party projects.
> In other words, I prefer the idea of chopping off all the tentacles of
> the existing Gui an work alongside with the other projects to see what
> can be made to help them out.

There's been a lot of good improvements to mplayer recently to help with
MPlayer front-ends, such as better -identify output, as well as -idle.
One thing that will help us (the Freevo project) is getting vf_overlay
merged.  I hope to submit an updated patch again soon.  But mplayer-dev
list is already rather backlogged.

Another patch that will help us (as front-end developers for MPlayer) is
another filter I'm hacking called vf_outbuf, which is to video what the
export filter is to audio.  Whereas vf_overlay lets me overlay arbitrary
bitmaps on a running video, vf_outbuf lets me render an mplayer video to
some existing interface.

For the Freevo project, we've been working on an umbrella project called
Kaa, and using the Kaa API (which is in Python), and using mplayer
patched with vf_overlay and vf_outbuf, this becomes possible:

        from kaa import canvas, main
        display = canvas.X11Canvas((640, 480))
        display.add_image("background.png")
        movie = display.add_movie("movie.avi", size = (640, -1), color = (255,255,255,128))
        movie.play()
        main()

This is a complete, working program.  It will draw a canvas (640x480)
that renders a semi-transparent running video on top of the background.
This aspect uses vf_outbuf.

I can detach the movie from the canvas and play it fullscreen (will use
xv, for example):

        movie.detach()

The movie's OSD, using vf_overlay, is also a canvas, with the same API:

        movie.osd.add_text("Hello world")

For Freevo, it's important to us that vf_overlay and vf_outbuf get
merged, and there seems to be a strong interest in vf_overlay outside of
the Freevo project.  So I hope that helps the cause. :)

Cheers,
Jason.