[MPlayer-dev-eng] using mencoder to make movie of graphics visualization frames.

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Sun Aug 14 02:46:37 CEST 2005

On Sunday 14 August 2005 02:20, don fisher wrote:
> The package will make an array of single frame tiff files. Mencoder
> accepts multiframe sequences of JPEG, PNG, TGA and SGI formats. My
> goal is to optimize image quality by presenting uncorrupted data to
> the encoder. That eliminates JPEG. Section 7.5 of the MPlayer page
> includes the SGI in the title, but is not mentioned anywhere else. I
> do not know how to convert from Tiff to PNG or TGA.

Install ImageMagick and use convert foo.tiff bar.png or install pbmplus and
use tifftopnm foo.tiff | pnmtopng > bar.png.

> I know how to write code etc, so suggestions on a filter would be
> welcome. Is there any plan (or has someone already done it) to include
> Tiff in the list of multiframe readers? I am sure other persons must
> have approached this problem before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

You'll need to add tiff to the filetypes the mf demuxer recognizes and
connect a codec to it. Have a look at:

libmpdemux/mf.c
libmpdemux/demux_mf.c

and the image codecs:

libmpcodecs/vd_mpng.c
libmpcodecs/vd_mtga.c
etc...

This should get you started.

> First posting to this list. I hope it is within scope.

If your next post is a patch that adds tiff support, it is :-)

--Ivo