[MPlayer-dev-eng] using mencoder to make movie of graphics visualization frames.

don fisher dfisher at as.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 14 02:20:39 CEST 2005

I am using OpenDX to generate sequences of images showing velocities
etc. from scientific simulation studies. The simulations are lengthy,
so a multiframe file sequence would exceed the allowable file size on
a 32 bit linux system.

The package will make an array of single frame tiff files. Mencoder
accepts multiframe sequences of JPEG, PNG, TGA and SGI formats. My
goal is to optimize image quality by presenting uncorrupted data to
the encoder. That eliminates JPEG. Section 7.5 of the MPlayer page
includes the SGI in the title, but is not mentioned anywhere else. I
do not know how to convert from Tiff to PNG or TGA.

I know how to write code etc, so suggestions on a filter would be
welcome. Is there any plan (or has someone already done it) to include
Tiff in the list of multiframe readers? I am sure other persons must
have approached this problem before. Any assistance would be appreciated.

First posting to this list. I hope it is within scope.

don
|    Don Fisher				  dfisher at as.arizona.edu  |
|    Steward Observatory		  			  |
|    933 N. Cherry Ave.    		  VOICE: (520)888-7613	  |
|    University of Arizona		                          |
|    Tucson, AZ  85721                				  |