[MPlayer-dev-eng] Can mplayer output MPEG2 422/444 YUV data?

Jason Geng jason.geng at hhcn.com
Tue Sep 21 14:46:33 CEST 2004

======= 2004-09-21 18:44:27 James wrote:=======

>I doubt that you will get True YUV output from an MPEG2 decoder, because
>the MPEG2 is not stored in YUV format. DVD quality MPEG2 is stored in
>Y'CrCb 4:2:0 format.
>
>Any other format will be using interpolation and Colour space
>conversions to get 422/444 YUV.
>
>Some people use the term YUV when in fact they should be using the term
>Y'CrCb.
>
>YUV is in fact different from Y'CrCb, and so people using the YUV term
>are going to confuse things if they talk to someone who understands the
>terms accurately.
>
>Y’CrCb is a scaled and offset version of the YUV color space where Y
>represents luminance (or brightness), U represents color, and V
>represents the saturation value.
>
>James

Yes, DVD quality MPEG2 is in YCbCr 420. But many broadcast quality mpeg2 videos
are coded in YCbCr422 or even YCbCr444. You can easily import 422 videos
from a DV or a Video capture card with video edit software such as.

You are right in that YCbCr is a scaled and offset version of YUV color space.
But as far as I know, U/V doesn't mean anything. They simply are 0.492*(B-Y) and
0.877*(R-Y). Since we are always using YCbCr format in digital video and YUV format
seems only using in analog video, I think it may be ok to use YUV for simplicity.