[OT] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] PTS/DTS

Dermot McGahon dermot at dspsrv.com
Wed Sep 15 13:19:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 11:48:47 -0400, Levi Bard
<taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak at gmail.com> wrote:

>> In my view, it should be interpreted as:
>> If you release the modified version to at least one user, you have to
>> give the modified source code to the public.
>
> I agree, based on Sections 2b and 3a: (emphasis is mine)
> [2]b)  You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to **all** third
> parties under the terms of this License.
> [and]
> [3]a)  Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
> source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1
> and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange;

Yes, and only one of 3(a) or 3(b) or 3(c) needs to be complied
with.

It can seem that 3(a) allows to only provide source code to the
recipient. 3(b) is much more specific and mentions "all third
parties.

I'm curious; have GNU ever clarified this. Companies often see
3(a) as a loophole. Assuming that the intention of 3(a) was that
the source would be available to all .. this should be clarified
in any subsequent version of the licence.

Warm Regards,

Dermot McGahon.