[MPlayer-dev-eng] PTS/DTS

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Sep 9 02:11:40 CEST 2004

Levi Bard writes:
> > In my view, it should be interpreted as:
> > If you release the modified version to at least one user, you have to
> > give the modified source code to the public.
>
> I agree, based on Sections 2b and 3a: (emphasis is mine)
> [2]b)  You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to **all** third
> parties under the terms of this License.

Yes, it has to be *all* third parties and this makes sense.

Imagine X takes a random GPLed program, improves it and passes it on
to a client Y with source and all.  Now if Y decides not to publish
the code the original author will never be able to get the
improvements.  To avoid this situation where you could create a
semi-closed version of a GPLed program, it has to be licensed to
all parties, not just one, under the terms of the GPL if it gets
redistributed.

Diego