[MPlayer-dev-eng] NUT/menus proposal

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Sep 15 12:45:40 CEST 2004

Hi

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 08:31, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 12:42:47PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > iam not against placing menus outside nut, what iam against is the last
> > change to info packets
>
> ok, that clarifies it a bit... but, if not for storing menus and such
> in nut, can you explain to me what your requirements for info packets
> are? i think this whole misunderstanding arose from us not
> understanding what you want to accomplish with info packets.

info packets could be used for many things
1. chapters
2. scene description, like storing all the start/stop times where gandalf
appears or the start/stop time of commercials, that would be quite nice for
seeking
3. storing other data, like gps coordnates (that way u know where the spot
from the documentary is exactly, so u could easily visit it for example)
4. storing the (x,y) coordinates of an unimportant rectangle for subtitles for
the current scene
5. storing interlaced/pogressive/telecine flags
6. storing object descriptions, like the names+info+coordinates of vissible
plants, animals and the like for educational material

but the the most important thing is what we dont know yet, if nut really
spreads and is used by alot of people, nut will be used for alot of things we
didnt predict, and alot of what u call braindamaged now will turn out to be
the only possible solution to some problems

> i'd be willing to add more flexibility back to info packets, but i
> still think we should make metadata separate (and store it in the
> stream headers) since it plays a very very different from generic
> info.

ok, (language, disposition, audio-gain in the stream header)

> and i'm against making info packets more flexible unless there
> seem to be good reasons for it, since they invite abuse...

and iam very strongly against putting limits in a format because we fail to
find a good example where its usefull
as long as something doesnt add any comlexity and adds possibilities it should
be supported, possible abuse or braindamaged are IMHO weak arguments,
everything can be abused and everything is braindamaged from someones point
of view

[...]
--
Michael
level[i]= get_vlc(); i+=get_vlc();  (violates patent EP0266049)