[MPlayer-dev-eng] Funny things with Doxygen

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Sep 9 04:29:59 CEST 2004

Hi all,

With my last patch I tried to conform with the new code documentation rules
and hence started to play around a bit with doxygen. I noticed some
peculiar behaviour. My main focus is on the libvo directory and its
contents, so I my examples will be based on that, but I'm quite sure the
same problems will occur in libaf, libmpcodecs, et cetera.

I did make doxygen and viewed the resulting HTML code.

I noticed a lot of functions within certain vo_* drivers had the SDL
comments for all of their standard functions, like preinit, config, et
cetera. But, and that's really weird, not all vo_*.c files had. Some had no
comments at all, while others _did_ had the SDL remarks, while making no
sense at all ofcourse.

It got worse. I added a test comment to config() in vo_jpeg.c and for some
vo_*.c files doxygen copied the SDL comments, for others it copied my test
comment and for some it still had no comments at all.

Now what? How can we fix this? Should we do one big patch that adds empty
descriptions to _all_ functions, in order to be sure doxygen doesn't mix up
functions that happen to have the same name? Or should we just leave it?
(bad idea IMHO). Or is there another option I haven't thought of yet?
(maybe a change in the way doxygen behaves?)

--Ivo