[MPlayer-dev-eng] release changelog

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Oct 31 11:50:41 CET 2004

Arpi writes:

> > We've been talking on IRC about making a release soon (and yes, we
> > should do one).  One thing about making releases is preparing the
> > changelog.  This is a very tedious job that takes quite a bit of
> > time.  Therefore I suggest that we start updating the changelog
> > continuously from now on and make an entry for changes that deserve
> > mentioning together with the commit or right after the commit.
>
> the "correct" way of dong that is generating changelog from cvs log.
> as it's too long & detailed, the maintainer (or sbomebody who knows
> most of the code and happenings round the code) can edit it down.
> it used to be made by me while i was active. now, ask alex...

Alex made most of the pre4 changelog with some help from me and
Roberto, the pre5 changelog was made by Reimar, Roberto and me.  I've
been proofreading changelogs for ages.

Coming up with the changelog is not really hard, but it is tedious and
quite a bit of work if you have to do it all at once reading through
CVS log messages.  That's why I want it to be done continuously.
Adding one line once in a while is easy.  All you have to do before a
release then is spellchecking and looking for blatant omissions.

Diego